Monday, June 22, 2009

Week One...

We joined an organic CSA (community supported agriculture) for the summer with a friend, hoping to increase our consumption of organic foods while forcing us to try some fruits and veggies we might not normally eat.  To make it as easy as possible, we decided to alternate weeks with our friend's family.  We picked up our first share last Thursday, and immediately left Friday morning for the weekend.  I'll be using everything this week.  

Here's what we got:
1 container strawberries
1 sandwich bag of mint
1 sandwich bag of chives
2 cucumbers
2 zucchini
2 bok choy
1 bunch kale
1 bunch swiss chard
1 head romaine lettuce
2 sweet potatoes
1 bunch white beets

I've made a meal plan for the week through Thursday, we'll see how well I do at making everything.  (I'm assuming my husband will take leftovers to work for lunch; when there aren't any he'll take a sandwich and some carrots.)

Monday: Green Barley and Kale Gratin
Tuesday: Bok Choy Stir Fry w/Quinoa
Wednesday: Lunch Date: Swiss Chard and Parmesan Tart, Dinner: Tofu Burgers with Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Peas
Thursday: Spinach Ricotta Calzones with Roasted White Beets

Our organic farm share is $23.38/week.  I spent $95.37 at Whole Foods this morning.  (I'll try to detail what we eat for our other meals/snacks so I can see where our $ is going.)  So far, our weekly total is $118.75.

2 comments:

  1. Who knew that sweet potatoes were in season now, or that white beets even existed? :-) Alternating weeks on a CSA is a great idea - my biggest concern about one would be if it was an absolute onslaught of produce during the peak weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was our concern too! I'm hoping that getting it every other week will work, as it's a lot! So far so good... :-)

    ReplyDelete