Did I mention we have a lot of zucchini???? We love zucchini bread, but I felt like trying something different today. I whipped up these muffins and they were a huge hit. To make them into cupcakes, simply slather them with some yummy cream cheese frosting. (A note on the baking time- my oven bakes very quickly, be sure to adjust baking time to your own oven.) This recipe yielded 12 regular muffins and 24 mini-muffins.
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
3 cups flour (I used 2 cups Trader Joe's White Whole Wheat Flour and 1 cup All Purpose)
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
3 cups grated zucchini (2 medium, approximately)
2/3 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line cups of a muffin tin (2 12 cup tins or 1 12 cup and 1 24 mini-muffin or...)
2. Mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. In another bowl, combine zucchini, oil, eggs, and vanilla; add to flour mixture and mix until just combined. Fold chocolate chips in (do not overmix).
4. Divide batter evenly among cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (my large muffins baked for 25 mins, my mini-muffins baked for 20 mins). Cool in tin for 10 mins, before placing on a metal rack to cool completely. Frost with cream cheese frosting if desired.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 Tbsp unsalted butter
8 ozs cream cheese
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1. Beat the butter (at room temp) and the cream cheese (also at room tempt) in a mixing bowl on medium speed until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy.